HOUSEMANSHIP SO FAR

Hello and assalamualaikum dear fellows readers,

Diclaimer : To my fellow colleagues, seniors or juniors, this is my personal experience and opinons, no harms intended. :D
21th May – I step into Day 1 of tagging. Oh and tagging is a period of 2-3 weeks, working of 15 hours/day roughly, where you are on close monitoring before allowed to be fully functional. Trust me, ask around and do ask around, you might find the same answer – Tagging is tiring, especially for first posters. My first posting was Surgery, which famously known as Surgihell, nah I dont really use this term. 

Being a first poster is hard. You learn the hard way, but it’s a very first crucial period when you adapting to a whole new life, systems, totally 360 degree different life compared to med school. Me? I pretty much feel the same. The first few weeks are full of struggle for me. Local grads much better, I know that very well, but I don’t really much difference much after that.

I had wonderful teaching seniors in the beginning, so life was well in the beginning even though it`s awfully tiring. I started to meet bad colleagues after that. Those who are very selfish, always wanna have easy kind of life. I hate them. Those who are too afraid to be scolded, till they tried their best to evade those kinds of works, doing only jobs that don’t demand them to refer (refer here means referring a case to other department, in which you are discussing a case with MOs from other dept.)
.
Talking of tough life in the beginning, I once cried myself for almost half an hour, while driving alone out of sudden, untriggered. I know that I was pretty damn stress. I once thinking get myself into an accident, so I don’t have to go to work. Every morning I asked my wife, can I get MC today?
My MOs? I had those kind of MOs who are really pushy, like to get mad easily over simplest thing, that sometimes make you wonder “what the hell is wrong with you ? “, those who are degrading you for thing that you couldn’t help with – being a Russian grads. I will remember those harsh words, no, I mean it in a positive way. I like to take it positively even though I pretty much got myself awfully scolded. I also had those MOs who are really kind, like to nurture your interest in this field, those who keep on advising, teaching. For those MOs, you know who you are and I hope Allah will help you and ease your work till your last breath. Personally I think those MOs keeps me going further, make my interest grows.

Aside from wards job, you need to read a lot too (although I really don’t get to have time for that :D) but really do set your time for your readings. Ask around A LOT – I find this really helpful. Use it people. Never assume, always be sure, always be definite.

Do I have free time? When people said we doctors don’t really have much free time. They are true about that, but we do have free time, quite enough I think (my wife doesn’t feel the same though..heh). Whenever Im on my post calls, off days, I like to spend time the most with my family, my wife most of the time. I like to take her to places, eating good foods. I found it really stress-reliever. Aside from that, do take some time to spend time with your colleagues, for lunch, dinner. A great man once said, eating with your colleagues will reduce percentage of stress by 60% , the percentage is higher when they paid for foods J )
Do have a good support system. My wife, mum and dad are my strongest emotional supports that I have. Don’t be too quiet, tell people about your problem, do tell people about how you feel. It helps, trust me it helps.


Me and my wife enjoying my off day


Now it`s already my 5th month of working as a doctor, as HO to be precise. Life is busy of course, but I enjoy it. Alhamdulillah. One thing for sure, I hope that Allah swt will ease our works in this path. I know it will get harder, and harder after this, but who can defy miracles of the Greatest Creator, things works unexpectedly out of our mind sometimes.
Dear myself in the future, do read this post again PRN.
Dear colleagues, lets strive further, take best care of our patients, works diligently, and honestly.
To those helpful colleagues, patients, staffs, thank you.
I wanted to write longer, just in 5 months of working, I have loads to tell, my thought are exploding just thinking about writing this post. I might actually write a book when I finish with my HO. Do buy okay? LOLs…




 A typical houseman



Dr Mohamad Syahiedzat,
Surviving Houseman,


No comments:

Post a Comment