You're finally home

As salam and hi....

Hello peeps...

I dont usually make an instant post whenever ideas cross my mind, but this very special post I really intended to make as fresh as I can because I will and most probably forget and lost the perfect touch for it. :)

I wonder how long my housemanship has been...May, June,...7 months it is.

In short period of  7 months, I had already encountered countless of deaths, eventful cases, that on my level I couldn't do anything about.

I want to tell you about this late 'pakcik' .

He was warded about period of 20 days.

He`s a patient, who`s quite old, and having chronic obstructive pulmonary disease GOLD D
(*COPD GOLD D - in easy words, patient with this class of COPD cannot even breath comfortably without supplemental oxygen), so yeah he had his own oxygen at home, and occasionally came to hospital if he could not breath even comfortably under those oxygen.

Ever since he was warded, most of us might get annoyed by his complaints, but deep down we know that its not  his fault. Every day he has complain of breathing difficulty, that may require our urgent attention, and so we did. We always give him our best, and the best of care.

The night I was on-call, he was quite a troublesome patient for me. I had a lot of cases to be attend to, and in the midst of hectic night, there he was, requesting for help, every few hours. Every time we attended him, he would ask us to give him some massage on the back, or more of chest physiotherapy, well luckily I did learn some, eventually came out quite handy for him, and he thankful me for that. Well, what else would make people in this line of job like us would be delighted other than receiving simple "terima kasih".

I dont quite remember how he was doing all the way in ward after that. After I went to holiday, taking few offs, he was still in the ward to be surprise. Sometimes I took a chance attend him just to ask for his conditions. He was quite okay I guess.

Then one day,when  I was in hurry of attending other patients, I walked through to the cubicle where his bed was. He called me, and tell me in English "Doctor, when can I go home ?". Patients and relatives nearby him heard that and they all laughed, and I did join the crowd, but deep down I was bit sad because what could I say to make him feel better. I think words can no longer comforts him and alleviates his conditions, he knew it.

He had prolonged stay in hospital. He`s not that ambulating in ward, best can do was sitting in bed. We all know hospital is the most dangerous place to stay. The irony right?
A non ambulating patient who has prolong stay can easily get nosocomial infections, or hospital-associated infections, if not anticipate them early, it could be fatal too.
I guess pakcik might have some too.

One day, we got news that pakcik has passed away. I was quite shocked but in the same time I knew this day would come. Suddenly, I feel bit emotionally attached to it. Patients, who we greeted and looked after everyday, and one day they are gone. Its sad but as long as we did our best, we had to accept it. Allah knows whats best for them.

Last but not least,

Pakcik, you really and finally are home.

To pakcik and all patients who has passed away, lets give them "al fatihah".

Innanillahiwainnailaihirajiun.

Dr Syahiedzat
To be more empathy


No comments:

Post a Comment